Monday, June 22, 2009

On Being a Photographer

This came up in my Google "Wedding Photography" Alert and I thought it was interesting.

http://blogs.todayonline.com/techtalk/2009/06/on-being-a-photographer/

and I quote the author, Trevor Tan:

These days, everyone can be a photographer with their mobile phones and compact digital cameras. But what they might not understand is that every photograph they take is a snippet of history, reality and time. As social critic Susan Sontag wrote in her 1977 seminal work "On Photography", "… images are indeed able to usurp reality because first of all a photograph is not only an image, an interpretation of the real; it is also a trace, something directly stenciled off the real".

Thus, being a photographer means you are a recorder of "a thin slice of space as well as time" - Sontag's description of a photograph.

And this might just be the answer I will give the next time when I am asked what I do for a living.

Something I found interesting as a Sacramento Wedding Photographer.

Photographer, Cory Trese
For Appointments Call: 937-609-9644
California Wedding Photography

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home