Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Urban Living in Downtown Dayton #2

I have been doing some thinking on common myths about urban living in downtown Dayton.

Myth #1: Crime Makes Downtown Living Dangerous

False!
Crime in downtown Dayton is no worse, and in some cases better, than nearby cities such as Cincinnati. The fact of the matter is that Ohio is a highly criminal state (comparative to the national averages, regarding violent crimes) however these crime statistics (below) are not specific to downtown Dayton.

From an anecdotal standpoint:

  • I have lived in Centerville where I found a murder victim in the trunk of his car in the parking lot of my apartment.
  • I have lived in Miamisburg where my neighbor was mugged, at gun point, in the parking lot of our apartment complex. My car was broken into twice during a one year period.

Latest 2005 Crimes per 100,000 People:


Cincinnati, OHDayton, OHNational




Murder:25.1206.9
Forcible Rape:100.2387.332.2
Robbery:737.8530.7195.4
Aggravated Assault:321.4318340.1

Personally, I feel far safer living in downtown Dayton than I have living other places in the Miami valley. The police are courteous, quick to respond and professional -- overzealous in some cases, but on average I consider their service a step above the forces I have seen in action in Miamisburg and Centerville.

So how dangerous is downtown Dayton? A lot less dangerous than most people would have you believe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home