Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Speed of Knowledge?

I must take a moment today to marvel at the stunning speed at which the modern world can deliver knowledge and information.  For example, today I needed a book on a somewhat obscure, somewhat bleeding-edge technology (I cannot talk about exactly what for reasons I will not go into) and I will have it, in my hand, tomorrow before 3:00PM.

That is amazing.  Ten years ago that order may have taken a few days, twenty years ago maybe a week.  Fifty years ago finding this information, much less a newly published and timely book about it, would have been far more difficult.

1 Comments:

At Friday, January 19, 2007 12:18:00 PM, Blogger Dissidence said...

I know what you mean. I currently work for a company that's all about knowledge sharing and collaboration. The way the world can quickly post, query, and process information marvels me.

-If you need an answer, google it.
-If you have a really cool/helpful thing to say, blog it.
-If you want an open discussion, post it on a forum.
-If you want community collaboration, make a wiki.

And the tools to do it are becoming even easier to deal with.

Set up Share Point if you want to drink the Microsoft Kool-Aid, or make an adhoc solution with tools such as openwiki, blogger.com, and wordpress.com, to name a few.

This truly is the age of knowledge and information sharing, and I'm glad to be a part of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home