Saturday, January 27, 2007

Digital Photography vs. My Computers


_DSC1495
Originally uploaded by digital2noise.
OK people, I have a serious problem here. My ability to generate digital files has far outstripped my ability to store, archive and manage them.

I generate about 100 Gigabytes of photographs a month, on average. Depending on weddings and stuff, it is sometimes closer to 200 Gigabytes. I have just enough storage space to host a 5 month backlog, but that also means that each week I have to burn, archive and off-site a certain number of DVDs to move the out-of-date photographs off the system.

And to make matters worse, I am only a few weeks away from buying a another camera body with a large CMOS sensor -- even larger files!

That means another storage upgrade or less time of backlog on the filesystem. This presents a problem as now I often miss making use of my photographs (uploads to Flickr, prints, ect) because the photographs can only hang around in my workspace for a few months. Sometimes, when the workload gets bad, I may take entire cards of photographs off the camera and onto DVD without ever once looking at them! Sad that I'm "wasting" work.

Maybe someday if I'm famous people will go back through it ;) That's what I tell myself at least so I stop worrying. It'll not go to waste, don't worry.

2 Comments:

At Monday, January 29, 2007 11:55:00 AM, Anonymous Johnny said...

you *could* always try film... ;]

 
At Monday, January 29, 2007 12:18:00 PM, Blogger Cory said...

i guess that would keep me from taking 20K photographs a month =)

i do think a lot about using film. especially when i make big prints.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home