Monday, October 23, 2006

External Hard drive w/ Card Reader & No Computer Required

One of my problems with digital photograph is the raw size of the digital files created by my cameras.  Anyone using a 8 MP or larger camera is going to, at some point, start to run out of space to store the photographs (either on the camera, or on the computer.)

This becomes especially painful in remote shooting scenarios (such as weddings or long trips.)  CompactFlash is expensive, way more expensive per Gig than a hard drive.  Like any professional photographer I have a big stack of CompactFlash.  Also, like any photographer I am paranoid to an extreme about the storage, backups and protection of my digital files in the field.

To that end, I have purchased an external harddrive with a no-computer required compact flash reader.  The product is available of Buy.com (free shipping and $10 off w/ Google Checkout.)  The card reader (and "copy my card" button on the enclosure) supports CompactFlash Type I and II, IBM Microdrive, SmartMedia, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, MultiMedia Card and SD Card.  So it has an 8-in-1 card reader and can make copies of these cards with only AC power and the push of a button.  This, to me, is a product I've been searching for for months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home