Sunday, January 15, 2006

Nikon NEF/RAW Workflow, Discussion

I've been doing my best to research and understand every option and technical process related to my Nikon D50.

From my research, it appears that some of the more sophisticated advantages of a Nikon SLR are actually functions of the camera's ability to store high-resolution images in a format known as NEF.

NEF is a proprietary Nikon file format (some parts are actually encrypted on the D50) capable of storing all the digital information the camera had at the time of the photograph.

The wealth of data stored in an NEF file makes the use of JPG files seem almost silly.  JPG images from the D50 do support EXIF content metadata, however, this is not the same time.  NEF format files allow
complete control over the image in a post-processing workflow and are the digital equivelants of negatives.

Now for the links...
Software / Workflow Links
Right now my image conversion and post-processing workflow is extreamly lame.  I'm using Nikon PictureProject to download and post-process my images, with minor adjustments post-JPG occuring in Gimp.

This, of course, means that I am using Windows XP to do my workflow right now.  Sad, I know.  I am planning on moving it to Linux and basing it around Perl, Gimp and gPhoto.

I could use a commercial solution for Linux, both Bibble and another vendor do sell professional level RAW workflow solutions for Linux.

1 Comments:

At Monday, January 16, 2006 11:05:00 AM, Blogger michael said...

You can edit those photos with PSP7. It has options to save as any format with a fairly rich toolset for markup. I think I could come up with a copy of the pro version if you are interested...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home